Sometimes you arrive and then realise your chosen course isn’t the best option for you. If you are thinking about changing your course of study, you need to remember that changing your field and institution in Australia is not a simple process, and without proper guidance, you may end up with missed opportunities, financial distress, or student visa issues.

Here are some of the most frequent questions that we receive from international students:

But I’m really not enjoying my current program, what should I do?

You can speak to one of our student advisors and we can provide support and help you determine the best course of action. This may range from additional academic support to help you adjust to Australian standards, to helping you with considering your career goals.

Can I take a break from studying in Australia?

Studying in Australia is one of the conditions of a student visa. So, if you decide to take a break from your studies, you most certainly have to leave Australia. If there’s a genuine reason, then inform your institution so that they can seek advice from DIBP.


Can I transfer to another institution?

If you have been studying in your primary program for less than six months then you will need permission from your institution to transfer elsewhere. Unless special circumstances apply, you usually need to have permission from your existing education provider to transfer to another education provider.

If you have been studying in your primary program for longer than six months then you are entitled to transfer to another institution without a release letter from your current institution. You will still need to be accepted into your new program and withdraw from your current program. Then you will receive a new Confirmation of Enrolment from your new institution that will be electronically supplied to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.


Do I have to study at the same level?

It is our policy that students who transfer to a course not eligible for streamlined visa processing at the same level as their current course would not be considered for cancellation if either:

  • If you are studying a Bachelor of Business at a university and wish to transfer to a Diploma of Accounting at the same institution, you would need to apply for and be granted a new student visa.
  • If you are studying a Certificate IV and want to transfer to an ELICOS course, you will need to apply for and be granted a new student visa.
  • Will changing courses affect my student visa?

    If there are any changes affecting your course or duration, then the DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection) needs to know about it. If you transfer to a course of study that is not eligible for streamlined visa processing and you have not been granted a new visa appropriate to your new course then your visa might be considered for cancellation. To get more information, visit the DIBP website and contact us.


    Step by step to change course in Australia

    1 Review your current situation and right under your current student visa

    Your student visa contains several conditions such as 8202 - Meet course requirements. Accordingly, you have to be enrolled in a full time CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses of Overseas Students) approved course and comply with the course requirements.
    If you decide to change your course/ study, you have to find another course with a similar or higher level than the one mentioned in your visa grant letter. You will also need to adhere to the other visa conditions.

    2 Refer to the transfer policy from your education provider

    Each educaction provider has their own transfer policy. It is important to know what are the requirements you need to fulfill before a transfer can be facilitated, such as having to study your principal course for a certain amount of time or meeting academic progress requirement.
    The policy can normally be found in your Letter of Offer.

    3 Consult with our education consultant regarding your eligibility

    Our consultants have a lot of experience with assisting and giving advice to international students. We are familiar with the various study and visa requirements, and are able to offer professional guidance to help ease your transition from one education provider to another.

    4 Applying to the new course after all conditions have been met

    Once you have all the information, you can make an informed decision. The next step would be to gather and prepare all the necessary documents and start the process to apply and transfer to a new course.
    Once the transfer process is completed you can then resume your education in Australia.

    Talk to Us